Thursday, May 23, 2013

Glitter Cellphone Case

I can not resist anything covered in glitter. A friend of mine painted the back of her cell phone case with mod podge mixed with glitter and I knew I had to do it too.

Materials used:
Gloss mod podge
Junk paint brush
Glitter
Nail polish clear coat
Painters tape
Bowl
Aluminum foil


Step 1: Taping
Tape the case. I have an otterbox commuter case for the iPhone 5. This case is a rubber layer then a hard plastic layer. I took the hard plastic layer off and taped the edges off. I did the camera section and outside but not the middle where the hole is.

Step 2: Glitter
I poured some mod podge in the bowl with aluminum foil around it so it will be easier to clean up. I started pouring the glitter (i went with iridescent. 90s chick) in with the glue painting it on. I made sure it was a thick layer. The mod podge is white while it is wet but I promise it dries clear. After some deliberation I decided the glitter would cover better if I sprinkled it directly on the case in the glue. That helped a lot for coverage. 
(Before I sprinkled the glitter)
(After sprinkled the glitter)

Step 3: Patience
This stuff takes a while to dry. And by a while I mean a whole day. I let it sit for about 30 minutes to an hour then removed the tape. When removing the tape I had to be very careful not to rip the glue. You have to pull small sections at a time and often times hold the edge as you pull the tape.

Step 4: Clear coat
After the glue has dried enough put a layer of clear fingernail polish on top. This adds more gloss as well as seals in the glitter. The thicker you make the topcoat the smoother it will be to the touch when it dries. I ended up doing 3 coats but it was mostly to let it dry then feel where it needed more.

And here is the final product. Super glittery homemade cell phone case!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment